Long Beach, CA tutors
One of the largest cities in the state, Long Beach is part of the greater Los Angeles area, the economic hub of southern California. Students and parents in search of local Long Beach tutors can take advantage of the city's rich business and academic resources to find a mentor with the right expertise.
Finding tutors in Long Beach
A promising source of Long Beach tutors is the city's colleges and universities, most notably California State University. Cal State Long Beach is the largest campus in the state university system and the second largest university in California in terms of enrollment. A major research university, CSU Long Beach has more than 1,000 valedictorians and National Merit Scholars. Long Beach City College, a community college, is also notable for its extensive liberal arts program.
Long Beach offers cultural and linguistic diversity -- nearly half of the population speaks a language other than English at home, which is about double the national average, according to the U.S. Census. Between the local colleges and the multicultural population, students in search of writing and language tutors find no shortage of options.
For science and math tutors in Long Beach, students can take advantage of the tech-heavy local economy. Long Beach is known for its port, the second-busiest in the U.S. and a gateway to Asian trade; in addition, the area hosts engineering and telecom enterprises as well as health and education services. Companies headquartered here include Epson America, Pioneer Electronics and several major health insurance companies. Boeing and Verizon are among the top employers, along with local government, schools and medical centers.
Long Beach Fast Facts
- Long Beach boasts the second-largest university in California in terms of number of students.
- Long Beach was honored in 2006 as one of the nation's 100 Best Communities for Young People (America's Promise Alliance)
- About 16 percent of California SAT takers sent their scores to CSU Long Beach in 2010, making it the 8th most popular university.
California State Facts
- If California were a country, its economy would be in the top 10 in the world.
- Nearly 80 percent of college-bound high school seniors aspire to earn a bachelor's degree or higher.
- Business and biological science or health professions are the most popular majors, attracting more than a third of college-bound seniors.